The new view of the front of the Frances T. Bourne Jacaranda Library after extensive new landscaping and exterior painting has been well received by the community. We are indeed fortunate to have such a lovely, natural setting for our library.
The JACARANDA FRIENDS group sponsored the Venice Chamber of Commerce’s March meeting, “Wake Up Venice”, at the Jacaranda Library on March 18. The meeting is hosted by different local businesses every month and in March it was our turn. SCOTT DOWDY, president of the Jacaranda Friends welcomed over 80 local business people to the meeting and a delicious buffet breakfast provided by the FRIENDS. It was a wonderful opportunity to introduce all the benefits of the Jacaranda Library, as well as the library staff.
Over the summer, the staff at Jacaranda have tried to keep our customers on their toes as we began a huge reorganization of the Library.
The following changes have been made:
1. The Teen Area is now located outside the Children’s Room in the Youth Area.
2. The Non-Fiction and Biographies are located to the left of the entrance, on the same side of the building as the New, Large Print and Fiction collections.
3. Media (Music, Audiobooks and Movies) are now in the to the right of the entrance, in the older portion of the building where we have added space to allow for multiple people to browse the collection at the same time.
4. Periodicals (Newspapers & Magazines) are in the far corner, in the former location of the Biographies.
5. The teen computers have been moved to the new Teen Area and the previous teen computer area is now the “Quiet” Computer Area.
6. The 15-minute, or Guest Computers, are now located on the former Reference Desk.
7. The Youth Services desk was relocated to the area between the Teen and Youth rooms to act as a Service Desk for Youth, Teens and Adults.
8. With the removal of the reference desk as a service point, we have freed up a staff member to roam throughout the building helping patrons in the stacks rather than waiting at the desk for questions.