The Friends of the Jacaranda Public Library, Inc. (Friends) was formed in 1992. The sole purpose of the organization is to provide support to and enhance the quality of library services to the public at the Frances T. Bourne Jacaranda Public Library.
Each member library in the Sarasota County Library System has a Friends group and they all function similarly. The organization is a non-profit organization with 501 (c) (3) status. The Friends is operated exclusively as a publicly supported organization and is financially supported by the sale of gently-used books in the Book Shop, membership dues and donations, under the direction of members and board. Fundraising campaigns are underway at all Sarasota County libraries to provide additional materials and equipment for each library that is not provided by the regular budget.
Why the Friends?
The need for the Friends group becomes obvious when several factors are taken into consideration. The Friends supplement the library’s general revenue budget from the county to support operations and service excellence. Another reason for the Friends’ fundraising activities is that certain items are not foreseen in the library budget and must be obtained in other ways. This contingency spending is quite essential to the normal functioning of the library.
The Friends of the Jacaranda Public Library, with assistance from the staff, applies for grants annually. The Venice Lions Club, for example, has awarded the Friends several grants to improve access to library services and collections for people who are blind or visually impaired. Friends’ fundraisers hosted by community partners like Venice Dairy Queen generate funds to support the youth department’s summer reading program and literacy initiatives.
Services provided by the Friends
The The list of services, equipment and materials that are provided by the Friends is too lengthy to publish here, but a partial list must include:
- additional copies of books;
- expanded inventory of video/audio recordings;
- programming for adults and children;
- purchase of certain newspapers and magazines; and
- purchase of public-access computers in the teaching lab with a variety of software applications.
How can you help? Join the Friends!
Just stop by the Frances T. Bourne Jacaranda Public Library and apply in person in the Book Shop or click here to apply online.
Benefits of Membership include:
- We will e-mail you our newsletter, “Between Friends” which will enable you to stay in touch with current happenings at the Library. Print copies are available at the Friends bookstore. The newsletter is also posted to the Library’s website, sclibs.net.
- The membership fee is tax-deductible.
- The most important benefit of membership is support of our library. Great public libraries are only possible when the community is engaged in their health and vitality.
- Visit our Membership page for more information